Tuesday 30 June 2020

Imperial Knights painted with the aid of an airbrush - kind of


Dave or better known as Dwez from 40kaddicts sent me a text saying take a look at this on Twitter and you should put your stuff on; the twit said "Hear ye, hear ye! A grand galactic knightly tournament declared in ye old Emperor’s name. Share your loyal and heretic Knights with us!"
So I put my Chaos Knights on and I got some nice positive re-twittes and comments.  Then I realised I hadn't photographed or blogged about my new loyalist Knights, so hear goes.



Following on from the strange and mixed response from my post on my "Project: Custodes Castellan Knight" I had decided to paint my Imperial knights using my airbrush.  I still consider myself to be a novice at airbrushing but I felt confident enough after painting my Castellan.  I had already painted the blue armour on them all, and I had finished my warlord, but I wasn't happy with the gold trim which was hand painted. as you can see below, the airbrush gold on the Castellan looks better, in my opinion.


I stripped the armour off him and dug out all the other armoured bits from my other Knights and started to mask up.



This is a long and laborious process, and adding cleaning the airbrush every blink of an eye, it can put people off airbrushing.  But the results speak for them selves, it's not quicker, it's just an alternative method of painting.   


Then following my technique I used on the Castellan I began to airbrush away with no idea how hey would turn out as it is all masked off.



I revealed one first to see if I liked the effect, and I did, phew.


It all looks a little too clean and tidy so it needs a lot of weathering.


OK so far so good, but now they needed basing and I wanted a theme base for all five but I didn't want the bases for my three un-based ones to over shadow the first two.  I decided to use the same Aquila and add some building wall sections and rubble, hoping it would work together.


You can also see I have some 10cm bases in the shot too, they are from my Armiger Helverins which I still haven't finished oops.  I airbrushed the bases just in the same style as  my Warlord and Castellan and here is the results of many months of work.




And as a passing shot this is my full collection of Knights and stuff I hope you enjoy :)

















4 comments:

  1. Beautiful work and very effective airbrushing, I still haven’t plucked up enough courage to start using mine and I’ve completed a Warlord without, so the urgency has gone away now lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean it takes a massive amount of willpower to start airbrushing when you know how cleaning and nozzle blockages we have to go through lol :)

      Delete
  2. That's a lot of knights, very cool. I also have an airbrush, that I've had for a long time and I haven't learnt to use yet. I also have a couple of knights I haven't made yet so if this plan comes together, it might work. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome come mate, I'm glad I can inspire someone to have a go. let me know how you get on I would love to see it :)

      Delete